- Davoyan et al v. Republic of Turkey et al.: Co-lead counsel in class action suit against foreign national banks, based on an alleged expropriation of property in violation of international law. Won dismissal of the case on jurisdictional grounds. Case is currently at the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit. Case No. 10-5636 (DMG) (C.D. Cal. 2013).
- Bakalian et al. v. Republic of Turkey et al.: Co-lead counsel in suit against Turkish national banks based on an alleged expropriation of certain properties which are currently leased by the U.S. government at the Incirlik Air Base pursuant to a federal contract with the Republic of Turkey. Won dismissal of the case on jurisdictional grounds. Case is currently at the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit. Case No. 10-09596 (DMG) (C.D. Cal. 2013).
- Pacific Consolidated Industries v. Ministry of National Defense of the Republic of Turkey, United States: Lead counsel in case seeking to throw out the forum selection and choice of law provisions of a foreign defense procurement contract. Won dismissal of the case. Case No. 96-00561 (C.D. Cal. 1996).
- International Creative Talent Agency v. Turkish Republic of Northern Cyprus: Lead counsel in case filed by a talent management agency on behalf of the entertainer Julio Iglesias against the Turkish Cypriot government regarding governance of the northern half of the island of Cyprus and the enforceability of contracts with entities formed under its laws. Won dismissal of the case. 856 F.Supp.2d 223 (D.D.C. 2012).
- Crist et al. v. Republic of Turkey et al.: Co-lead counsel in case against the Republic of Turkey in a lawsuit alleging that Turkey wrongfully expropriated the property of U.S. citizens in Northern Cyprus during military hostilities that led to the division of the island. Won dismissal at the district court on statute of limitations grounds and after obtaining a favorable opinion at the U.S. Court of Appeals for the D.C. Circuit won dismissal again on at the district court on jurisdictional grounds. 107 F.3d 922 (D.C. Cir. 1997), 995 F. Supp. 5 (D.D.C. 1998).
- Toumazou et al. v. Turkish Republic of Northern Cyprus: Lead counsel defending foreign governmental entity in an ongoing class action lawsuit brought by foreign plaintiffs for rights in property on the island of Cyprus, alleging dispossession in the aftermath of military hostilities on the island. Case No. 09-1967 (D.D.C. filed Oct. 19, 2009).
- Latchford et al. v. TRNC et al.: Lead counsel defending foreign governmental entity in in an ongoing class action lawsuit brought by foreign plaintiffs for alleged involvement in a property development scandal. Case No. 12-846 (PLF) (D.D.C. filed Aug. 24, 2012).
- Fiouris et al. v. Turkish Republic of Northern Cyprus: Lead counsel defending foreign governmental entity in an ongoing class action lawsuit brought by foreign plaintiffs for alleged interference with rights in property on the island of Cyprus. Case No. 10-1225 (PLF) (D.D.C. filed Jul. 20, 2010).
- In Re Harry Sassounian: Lead counsel for survivors of a terrorist attack in which a foreign diplomat was assassinated in Los Angeles. Repeatedly successfully opposed parole of the convicted terrorist.
- Schmidt v. Krikorian: Co-counsel for plaintiff, a sitting member of the U.S. Congress, in action before the Ohio Elections Commission in case alleging violation of state elections laws. Won favorable verdict at the commission, which ordered a public reprimand of the defendant, who subsequently failed in his election bid. The verdict was sustained on subsequent appeals. (Case 2009E-003, Ohio Elections Comm.)
- Lewy v. Southern Poverty Law Center: Co-counsel for plaintiff, an emeritus professor at the University of Massachusetts against publisher who issued allegations of academic fraud. Won pre-trial retraction of the story, an apology and a financial settlement. (Case No. 08-1971 (D.D.C. filed Nov. 17, 2008))
NOTABLE SOVEREIGNS REPRESENTED
- Republic of Azerbaijan
- Republic of Turkiye
- Turkish Republic of Northern Cyprus
- Sri Lanka
NOTABLE AGENCIES AND INSTRUMENTALITIES OF STATE SOVEREIGNS
- The Central Bank of the Republic of Turkiye
(Türkiye Merkez Bankası)
- T.C. Ziraat Bank
- Turkish Union of Chambers and Commodity Exchanges (TOBB)
(Türkiye Odalar ve Borsalar Birliği)
- Turkish Undersecretariat for Defense Industries (SSM)
(Savunma Sanayii Müsteşarlığı)
- Turkish International Cooperation Agency (TICA)
(Türk Işbirligi ve Kalkınma Ajansı)